The Saginaw ISD Human Resources Office provides LiveScan fingerprinting services for those who require a criminal history background check for school employment.
Fingerprinting is available by appointment during the following time(s):
Tuesday & Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
To schedule an appointment, please call 989-399-7440.
What do I need to get fingerprinted?
- Valid photo identification (e.g. driver license)
- LiveScan Fingerprint Request Form (Issued by the School District or Agency requiring the background check)
Please note: For individuals signing up to substitute through PCMI or PESG, your background check information will be processed at the Saginaw ISD. Our office will provide you with the LiveScan Fingerprint Request Form at the time of your scheduled appointment.
What is the cost for fingerprinting services?
The cost is $55.00, payable to the Saginaw ISD by check or money order only. Our office does not accept cash or credit card payments.
Who may I contact if I have questions regarding fingerprinting?
Contact the Human Resources Administrative Assistant at 989-399-7440 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michigan Public Act 129 of 2005 requires fingerprinting/criminal records checks from the State Police for every new employee hired by a school district after January 1, 2006.
- Michigan Public Act 138 of 2005 requires criminal record checks by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for newly employed substitute teachers, adult educators, and full-time teachers. The State of Michigan “School Safety” legislation (2005 PA 129-131 and 138), requires that all school employees, substitutes, or those assigned to regularly or continuously work under contract for any school, must be fingerprinted via the LiveScan fingerprinting process. The key provisions of the law include the following:
- All school employees, substitutes, or those assigned to regularly or continuously work under contract for any school, must be fingerprinted via the LiveScan fingerprinting process.
- New employees must be printed prior to beginning their employment with the district. Michigan’s fingerprinting system refers to these as “SE fingerprints,” because the fingerprints will be submitted under fingerprinting reason SE (school employment). This tells the criminal history computers to apply the handling rules for school background checks. Those might vary for other laws. The codes are also how MSP notifies the FBI that a check is authorized under law.
- Upon being fingerprinted, the Michigan Department of Education will report to districts, all school employees with a recorded criminal conviction. Specific actions are required by districts, employees and or Boards of Education based on the nature of the conviction reported.
- Finally, the law requires school staff to self-report if they are arraigned or charged with reportable offenses as defined within this legislation. The employee must self-report to the district Superintendent and the Michigan Department of Education.