The Math in the Mail program focuses on developing mathematical skills in three-year-old children by providing the tools needed in the home environment for parents, guardians, and other caregivers.
Families enrolled in the Math in the Mail program will receive a kit in the mail, 6 times per year, which will contain materials, resources, and instructions for several age-appropriate math activities. The program is FREE to those who qualify.**
Our target population is three-year-old children in the Great Lakes Bay Region, which encompasses Arenac, Bay, Clare, Gladwin, Gratiot, Isabella, Midland, and Saginaw counties.
By enhancing pre-school aged children’s mathematical understanding and confidence, the Math in the Mail program is key to providing the foundational mathematics knowledge essential to children experiencing success in future STEM related content and careers.
What do the math kits include?
- Materials designed for hands-on play
- A book
- Ideas for hands-on activities using the provided materials
- Ideas for extension activities using items found in any home
- ‘Tools for Talking’, a guide on how to use the materials provided
- Suggestions for parents and caregivers to engage children in mathematics
- A description of how these activities help children learn
Who will receive Math in the Mail?
To qualify to receive Math in the Mail for FREE*, families must
- Live in Arenac, Bay, Clare, Gladwin, Gratiot, Isabella, Midland or Saginaw county
- Have a child born 12/1/12 through 9/1/13 in the household
- Have a household income that is at or below 250% of the federal poverty guidelines **
Where can families enroll?
- Enroll online here! for the income-based free option
- Call 989-737-9532 to enroll over the phone
- Home visiting partners, Head Start, and GSRP Preschool teachers and staff can help to enroll the families they work with
- Complete and detach the downloadable brochure with enrollment form and return by
- email to email@example.com
- text to 989-737-9532
- mail to: Math in the Mail, 3860 Fashion Square Blvd., PO Box 5679, Saginaw, MI 48603
What happens after a family submits the enrollment form?
- The family should submit proof of income
- If the family indicated that they receive Medicaid, Bridge Card, or DHHS/CDC Child Care Assistance, a copy of their acceptance letter or client ID number is all they need to submit.
- If a family does not have any of the above information, a W-2, a 1040 form, or 3 consecutive pay stubs should be submitted.
- Scans/photos of proof of income can be
- emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- texted to 989-737-9532, or
- mailed to: Math in the Mail, Saginaw ISD, 3860 Fashion Square Blvd., PO Box 5679, Saginaw, MI 48603
- The Math in the Mail Coordinator reviews the information to verify eligibility for the free program.
- If eligible, a Math in the Mail kit is mailed to the enrolled child
- If not eligible for the free program, the family is notified.
**Math in the Mail is available by subscription for those who do not meet the eligibility guidelines! Subscribe here!
Math in the Mail is generously supported by
Math in the Mail press release 10.11.06
For more information, please contact Lindsay Bryce, Math in the Mail Coordinator, at 989-737-9532 or email@example.com.
FOR ENROLLED FAMILIES
Please complete the Pre-Kit Survey before working with your first kit. Thank you!
1-2-3 Dinosaurs Bite! Kit Resource Page & 1-2-3 Dinosaurs Bite Post Kit Survey
I Spy Numbers Kit Resource Page & I Spy Numbers Post Kit Survey
How Many Snails? Post Kit Survey
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
Saginaw ISD Early Childhood and Parenting Services
Saginaw ISD Head Start/Early Head Start
Saginaw County Great Start Collaborative
Saginaw Community Care Hub
Bay-Arenac ISD Early Childhood Programs
Bay-Arenac ISD Preschool Programs
Bay-Arenac Great Start Collaborative
Clare-Gladwin RESD Early Childhood Department
Clare-Gladwin RESD Preschool Services
Clare-Gladwin Great Start Collaborative
Gratiot-Isabella RESD Great Start Collaborative
Gratiot-Isabella Great Start Collaborative
Midland ESA Early Childhood Services
Midland ESA Preschool
Midland Great Start Collaborative
CDC Stages of Development
Children’s Book Guide
PNC Grow Up Great Sesame Street Learning Resources