Pensions and post-retirement health benefits come through the State of Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS), including the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System (MPSERS). As a public school employee, you belong to one of a number of pension systems: Defined Benefit, Defined Contribution, Pension Plus, or Pension Plus 2, depending on the timing of your hiring into Michigan public school employment. To learn more, go to the ORS website. You may also log in to your personal retirement account with ORS called MiAccount. This system tracks Years of Service, Retirement Contributions, as well as other retirement relevant information.

Working for Saginaw ISD is just like working for any other public school in Michigan and is part of MPSERS. Service credit may carry over from other local Michigan public school employment and continue to accrue while working with the Saginaw ISD.

Retirement takes two steps: 1) submission of retirement through ORS and 2) resigning your position with the Saginaw ISD. The first step is handled through your personal account on the ORS website titled "MiAccount." If you need help with the process through MiAccount, please contact ORS at 1-800-381-5111. The second step may be done by submitting a resignation letter or email to your immediate supervisor or to the Director of Human Resources.

Alternative Pension Retirement Savings

Most employees see a significant decrease in income when retiring. Often, your calculated state pension is not enough. Many employees choose to save additional funds through various tax-shelter options, such as 403(b), 457(b), or 401(k). If interested in additional savings opportunities, please follow this link to see which options are available and which vendors participate. For those employees who are part of the Defined Contribution, Pension Plus, or Pension Plus 2 retirement plans, you may already have a 403(b) or 401(k) set up through the State of Michigan Office of Retirement Services.

Post-Retirement Employment

The rules vary as to whether individuals can work after retirement based on the type of retirement and the type of employment. To see whether there is an impact on your pension if you work after retirement, please visit the Office of Retirement Services website.