Saginaw Intermediate School District would like to congratulate Scott Sawyer, J.D., Deputy Superintendent, on his recent appointment to the State Bar of Michigan's Public Outreach and Education Committee for the 2022-2023 Bar year. The State Bar of Michigan depends on the committee's talent to continue providing exceptional service to the legal profession, the public, and our state. "Saginaw ISD is especially proud of Mr. Sawyer's accomplishments in the field of law and that he is taking his servant leadership to the highest of heights in representation for our community," said Coty Kuschinsky, Chief of Staff and Communications Supervisor for SISD.
Jurisdiction of the Public Outreach & Education Committee:
- Assisting in developing educational events and programs advancing lay understanding of law and the legal profession, with particular emphasis on community programs, including Law Day and Constitution Day
- Providing review and recommendations concerning the State Bar of Michigan’s online resources available to the public
- Exploring and assessing opportunities for collaboration in public outreach consistent with SBM strategic goals with local bar associations, non-legal professional associations, and other external entities
- Conferring and coordinating regularly with the Unauthorized Practice of Law committee to discuss how each committee’s work might interact with and support the other’s work
- Recommending Michigan Legal Milestones that commemorate significant cases, events, places, and people in the State’s legal history, and upon approval of the Board of Commissioners, helping implement the milestone and its celebration
- Reviewing reports on effectiveness of public outreach programming based on evaluation metrics and utilizing these reports as a basis for recommending improvements in content, or modification or discontinuation of programs.
Mr. Sawyer's one-year appointment began on October 1, 2022.
Scott Sawyer, J.D., Deputy Superintendent Biography:
Scott Sawyer is the Deputy Superintendent of Saginaw Intermediate School District. With 19 years of professional experience in education, Scott is a passionate advocate for service, educational leadership, and social equity.
Scott began his professional career as a Math Teacher at Chesaning Union Schools in 2003 and was promoted to Director of Finance in 2006. In 2010, he transitioned to Birch Run Area Schools to serve as their Business Manager. He joined Saginaw ISD in 2015 as Executive Director of Human Resources. In 2019, he took on the additional Executive Director of Finance role before being promoted to Deputy Superintendent. Outside his responsibilities with Saginaw ISD, Scott is a Partner Attorney for Dickinson Sawyer, PLC.
Mr. Sawyer holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Alma College and a Juris Doctor degree from Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, as well as licensure with the Michigan State Bar Association and United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan. He also maintains certifications for secondary teaching, school administration, and Michigan School Business Officials. In 2021, Scott became a doctoral candidate in Western Michigan University’s Philosophy in Educational Leadership program. Scott was recognized as School Business Official of the Year for the State of Michigan in 2021.
Scott is a strong advocate for public education operations—specifically, finance and human resources. He regularly participates with county and state organizations—leading conversations, presentations, and publications in areas of school finance, labor relations, pandemic response, and law, including FOIA, FMLA, OMA, Title IX, and public employee social media/free speech. Mr. Sawyer directly mentors area school business and human resources officials and provides guidance to districts throughout Michigan.
In his spare time, he enjoys playing guitar in several bands, drawing artwork, and participating in many community service and social equity activities. Scott and his wife, Christine, happily share their home with a collection of cats they have rescued and adopted.